Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Laundry Day and a Surprise!


Monday -- and it was time to do laundry. Not my favorite thing to do on a trip, but sometimes you just have to take the time to do it! We moved to Island Acres near Palisade/Grand Junction/Fruita, Colorado on Monday. Our new campground is just off of I-70 in a canyon area and the train tracks are on the other side of our campsite across the Colorado River. Dave had read reviews on the Internet about those people who park near the Interstate complain about the traffic noise all night, so we got as far away from that as we could. Those closest sites were only about 25 - 40 feet from the guardrails on the Interstate.


The surprise is that while driving in Grand Junction, we came across people who were walking to a baseball stadium carrying coats and blankets. It was about 3:15 in the afternoon -- so we knew it would be something that would last a while. Dave made a turn around the block and asked three young people who were walking what was going on. One of them confirmed what I had heard on the radio earlier that Sarah Palin was speaking. So we followed the rest of the vehicles on in to the parking area and it was already crowded. They parked us on the farthest row out! We asked the parking guy what time she was speaking and he said around 7:00. We decided to stay!


This was our second time through security -- the first time a young TSA man told us that we wouldn't be allowed to take the umbrella (it was sprinkling and looked like a good rain was on the way) in, so Dave took a hike and returned it to the car. So when we got up to Security again, I got through, but Dave forgot about his Alaskan Eskimo Scrimshaw (carved) pocket knife, and they would confiscate that unless he returned it to the car -- so he took another hike back and left most all of his other pocket stuff in the car.


This is Dave being wanded. I waited inside for him to come through again. You'd think we'd know what could or couldn't be taken through Security . . . wouldn't you? I guess we were just surprised that Security would be that tight. No water bottles, apples or oranges or food that could be thrown. Just inside this point, there were volunteers asking people to open up all the blankets they were carrying even though those were patted down by the Security people. I couldn't figure out why until I overheard someone say that they were looking for writing on the blankets that could be a protest sign. They opened up each blanket and looked at both sides of it before refolding them neatly. Very interesting to watch and I only heard one woman voice somewhat of a protest.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment